The 2013 Annual MIDTESOL Conference will be held October 11-12, in Lawrence, Kansas. MIDTESOL is pleased to invite teachers to submit student essays for the Best High School Essay Award.
Eligibility: Must be a high school student (grades 9-12) in good standing who is enrolled—or was enrolled formerly—in an ESOL/ELL program in a K-12 school in Iowa, Kansas, or Missouri.
Topic: Student essays must relate to this year’s conference theme: Engaging Learners, Building Community.
Rules and Format:
- Each student may submit only one essay.
- Essay must be submitted with a cover page, including the following
- student name and contact information (phone number, address, email)
- school (name, address, phone number)
- grade level
- sponsoring teacher
- Essay must be solely the work of the student with limited guidance from others.
- Essay must be 500 to 700 words in length; typed (12-point Times New Roman font) and double-spaced.
- There should be no identifying information listed on any pages of the essay. This includes any mention of name or school.
Failure to abide by any of the above conditions will result in immediate disqualification.
Judging: Essays undergo blind peer review.
Scoring Criteria: Essays are scored on content, organization, vocabulary, language use, and mechanics. In short, judges look for writing that is clear, creative, articulate, and logically organized.
Awards: The selected recipient will be awarded $100. His/her name, photo, and school affiliation will be published in the ensuing issue of MIDTESOL Matters, the organization’s electronic newsletter Additional awards include one second place award of $50 and one third place award of $25.
To apply, submit essay, including cover page, to Miranda E. Wilkerson (email@example.com), MIDTESOL Awards Chair, by September 15. The subject line of the email should read “MIDTESOL 2013: Best High School Essay.” You will receive confirmation from the Awards Chair that your submission has been received and a notification if you are an award recipient by October 1. Please note that essays will not be returned. All applicant information will be kept confidential. Decisions made by reviewers are final.
For more information on the MIDTESOL Conference, please see the website, at: