The Tonantzin Society and Día de los Muertos (DDLM) Topeka invites artists to compete in the Second Annual DDLM Juried Art show. This opportunity offers cash prizes and is open to all artists in any level of their career.
Who We Are:
The Tonantzin Society is an all-volunteer, non-profit group from Topeka, Kansas. Their commitment, in addition to planning Topeka’s Annual Día de los Muertos event, is to maintain, nurture, and promote Latino art and culture. DDLM Topeka is a one-of-a-kind event in this region. This year’s event will incorporate art, lectures, dance, family festivities, and more to educate the community on DDLM traditions and customs. We invite regional and local artists to take part in this vision. Last year was an exciting start and we are planning to make this year even better. Join us in creating an unforgettable event in 2013!
Conditions of the Competition:
This art show will include artists in both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional media. All mediums will be accepted, including but not limited to: Painting, drawing, print media, digital art, photography, mixed media, textiles, ceramics, sculpture, jewelry, glass, gourds, and wood. Original works and limited editions will be accepted. This art show will be on exhibit to the public for the one month and will be included in group tours. If works are not available to exhibit for that length of time, please do not submit. Accepted entries may be used on our website and social media. Artists will be credited and retain full copyright. Deadline is midnight on September 22, 2013.
● Must be submitted in digital format
● Must be submitted in .jpeg, .png, or .pdf format and be at least 4x6 inches in size
● Images submitted must represent art as closely as possible
● Must be created by artist submitting the work and cannot infringe on any copyright
● Theme must revolve around “Día de los Muertos” (Day of the Dead)
● Art must be ready to display.
○ Art not ready for display will not be included in show. (No Exceptions)
○ 2-dimensional works must be ready to hang with wire hangers.
○ Framed pieces must have frames in good condition.
Entry fee is $25 (non-refundable) and artist may submit up to 3 works for that fee. (Entry does not constitute acceptance)
Cash awards will be given for the following placement:
● 1st Award: $500 - to the artwork that is best-suited to be featured in Día de los Muertos advertising
● 2nd Award: $200 - to the best artwork as chosen by the judges
● 3rd Award: $100 - to the best artwork as chosen by popular vote of the audience
Please submit entries online at: http://www.ddlmtopeka.com/2013_Art_Call.php
For questions concerning this art call, please contact Jose Rios at email@example.com or Jose Ruiz Esparza at firstname.lastname@example.org For more information concerning Día de los Muertos, please refer to our website at: ddlmtopeka.com or facebook.com/diadelosmuertostopeka
Accepted entries will be notified by telephone or email. Artists are responsible for delivering and retrieving art by required time and dates to art show location (Topeka, KS — accepted artists will be notified of specific times no later than a week before the exhibition). Award recipients will be announced on October 19th, 2013 during the street fair. First award winner will be used on promotional materials, website, and other documents for DDLM 2014 event. Artists will be credited and retain full copyright.
Judges will be comprised of three groups:
● First prize jurors - Tonantzin Society co-founder Christina Valdivia-Alcala, Tonantzin Society Art Directors, Jose Rios and Jose Ruiz Esparza
○ First prize awarded to the piece best suited for the promotional needs of the event. Prize awarded for the art that translates well in the advertising market.
● Second prize jurors by two Tonantzin Society artists and guest judge TBA. Each judge will base decision on their specific artistic skill set.
○ The first judge specializes in 2D media work. Detail and content will be a major factor in this decision.
○ The second judge focuses on 3D work. Judging will be based on craftsmanship, material, form, and texture.
○ The final judge is an abstract artist. Judging is based on aesthetics, visualizations, and creativity.
● Third prize awarded to the piece that has the popular vote. Audience will be allowed to vote on their favorite piece. The piece that receives the most votes wins.
(It is possible for a piece of artwork to receive more than one award)
Best of luck to all of our prospective contestants!